Information We Collect
Van Eck or our service providers may collect personal information from you through the Sites, including but not limited to information you provide when you:
- request, register for, subscribe to, order, or download any product, service, newsletter, or online account;
- contact Van Eck with questions or requests for information; or
- enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion, or complete a survey or poll.
Collection of Information Using Cookies and Other Tools
Van Eck or our service providers may use "cookies," web server logs, web beacons, or other electronic tools to collect information that is related to you but that does not personally identify you, such as:
- IP address;
- browser type;
- operating system;
- computer platform;
- information about your mobile device;
- geo-location data; and
- the state or country from which you accessed the Sites.
- the web pages you visit on the Sites;
- the date and time of your visit;
- the number of links you click within the Sites;
- the functions you use on the Sites;
- the databases you view and the searches you request on the Sites;
- the data you save on, or download from, the Sites, etc.; and
- the websites you visited immediately before and after visiting the Sites.
A cookie is a small text file placed on your computer. Most browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually set your browser to disable cookies, or to alert you when cookies are being sent. Likewise, most mobile devices allow you to disable the ability for geo-location information to be collected from your mobile device. The help function on most browsers and mobile devices contains instructions on how to set your browser to notify you before accepting cookies, disable cookies entirely, or disable the collection of geo-location data. You need to set each browser, on each device you use to surf the Web. Thus, if you use multiple browsers (e.g., AOL, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.), you should repeat this procedure with each one. Similarly, if you connect to the Web from multiple devices (e.g., work and home), you need to set each browser on each device. However, if you disable cookies or refuse to accept a request to place a cookie, it is possible that some parts of the Sites, such as certain areas of the Sites for which you need to log in, will not function properly, and the advertising you receive when you visit the Sites may not be advertisements tailored to your interests.
Van Eck does not process or respond to web browsers' "do not track" signals or other similar transmissions that indicate a request to disable online tracking of users who visit the Sites. For information about online behavioral advertising networks and how to "opt out" of advertising cookies placed by the Network Advertising Initiative's ("NAI") member networks, and thereby limit the tracking of your online activity and the targeted advertising you may receive, please click here. Note that even if you opt out of cookies placed by the NAI member networks, you may still receive online advertising. You can also prevent website tracking by changing the settings in your web browser settings as described above to disable cookies permanently or to alert you when cookies are being sent so you can refuse them at that time.
How We Use Your Information
Van Eck uses the information collected through the Sites, including your personal information, non-personal information, and information about your use of the Sites, in the following ways:
- to enhance your experience with this Sites;
- to save your preferences and account information;
- to provide you with the services, products, or information that you request;
- to communicate with you (e.g., about updates to your accounts, products, or services, or to provide information about products or services in which you have indicated an interest);
- to combat fraud or any other criminal activity;
- to fulfill any other purpose for which you provided the information;
- to conduct research and analysis (e.g., analyze and compile statistics about your use of the Sites and other websites, and produce data analytics and reports containing only anonymous and aggregate information that we may share with third parties for their own use); and
- to provide information, special offers, and promotions to you regarding products and services offered by us, our affiliates, or nonaffiliated third parties.
You can unsubscribe or choose not to receive promotional materials from Van Eck by following the specific instructions in the e-mail or other communication you receive or by e-mailing us at email@example.com. All e-mail requests must include the following information: first name, last name, and e-mail address. Please note that it may take some time to process your request, consistent with applicable law.
We may also use information collected on the Sites as otherwise required or permitted by law or with your consent.
How We Share Your Information
Van Eck may disclose information that does not identify any individual (e.g., anonymous, aggregated data) without restriction.
Van Eck may share your personal or other information with our affiliates and subsidiaries for their own marketing and other purposes as permitted or required by law. We may share your personal or other information with nonaffiliated third parties as permitted or required by law, including:
- with our service providers that help us to operate our business (e.g., to deliver the information, products, or services requested by you; to perform other activities related to such information, services, and products, including billing and collection; and to provide you with special offers or promotions from Van Eck);
- in connection with any proposed or actual sale or other transfer of some or all assets of Van Eck, and/or any proposed or actual sale or merger of Van Eck or any division of Van Eck;
- to comply with legal orders (e.g., a subpoena or court order), government or law enforcement requests, or other legal process;
- to produce relevant documents or information in connection with litigation, arbitration, mediation, adjudication, government or internal investigations, or other legal or administrative proceedings;
- if Van Eck determines in its good faith judgment that such disclosure is necessary to provide its services or to protect the rights, interests, safety, or property of its business, employees, suppliers, customers, or others;
- to enforce any legal notices, terms of service, or agreements on or related to the Sites;
- to enforce the terms of any other agreement with Van Eck;
- to operate Van Eck systems properly;
- as otherwise required or permitted by law; and/or
- any other sharing to which you consent.
We may also share your personal or other information with nonaffiliated third parties for their use to produce data analytics and reports containing only anonymous and aggregate information that does not personally identify you, and which they, in turn, may share with other third parties for their own use.
Security and Retention of Personal Information
To protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use, we use reasonable administrative, technical, personnel, and physical measures. These measures include computer safeguards and secured files and buildings. To help us protect your privacy, you should maintain the secrecy of any username and password you set up in connection with your use of the Sites.
We will retain your personal information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. Even after we cancel your account or cease using your personal information to provide you services, we may still retain, use, and disclose your information as necessary to comply with our legal, regulatory, ethical, or document retention obligations, and any request to delete your personal information is subject to these obligations and restrictions.
Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
To access, review, rectify, or delete personal information collected about you through the Sites, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use your username and password to access the web page on the Sites designated for this purpose. All e-mail requests must include the following information: first name, last name, and e-mail address. While we will make reasonable efforts to accommodate your request, we also reserve the right to impose certain restrictions and requirements on such access requests, if permitted or required by applicable laws.
Transfer of Personal Information To Other Countries and Safe Harbor Compliance
Van Eck has certified its compliance with the EU and Swiss Safe Harbor Frameworks with respect to personal information Van Eck receives in the United States from individuals in the EU, the European Economics Area, and Switzerland. Van Eck has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Van Eck's certification, please visit www.export.gov/safeharbor.
Van Eck has available mechanisms to investigate and attempt to resolve complaints and disputes regarding processing and disclosure of personal information and has adopted procedures to verify that its Safe Harbor commitments are implemented. Any questions or concerns regarding any use, disclosure, or transfer of personal information covered by the Safe Harbor program should be directed to Van Eck's Global Head of Compliance by email at email@example.com or by postal mail at the following address:
Van Eck Associates Corporation
335 Madison Avenue, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10017
Attn: Ms. Janet Squitieri
Van Eck's adherence to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles may be limited to the extent required to respond to a legal or ethical obligation and to the extent expressly permitted by an applicable law, rule, or regulation.
The Sites are not directed at children under the age of 13, and Van Eck does not knowingly collect personal information from any child under the age of 13 through the Sites. If we learn that we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information.
Links To Third-Party Websites
The Sites may include links to third-party websites. Since we do not control third-party websites and are not responsible for any information you may provide while on such sites, we encourage you to read the privacy policies on those websites before providing any of your information on such sites.
Last Updated: 01/05/2015